Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Fourth Grade!

Fourth grade is feeling the challenge of stepping up to 4th grade. We have started note taking in basic outline bullet-point form. The information we have been outlining is from their Texas history book. The subject-matter was the beginning of the settlement of the Americas and the movement of nomads down after crossing over Beringia.

In math we are reviewing addition and subtraction. The students are adding multidigit numbers with 3 or more multidigits numbers; subtraction is involving multi-borrowing problems. We have been pretending to be bankers for Bill Gates and his BIG bank account has withdrawals and deposits:-). I am proud of the students for knowing their math facts; it is extremely helpful to have such knowledge quickly accessible, especially as we progress through the year advancing through higher math concepts.

Language Arts will have Wordly Wise this year. If you are not familiar with Wordly Wise it is a vocabulary program. I have been walking the fourth graders through the assignments for the first lesson so they will understand what to do on future lessons. They will not be tested over the first lesson. Please know that when the students have a Wordly Wise lesson they will only be tested over the vocabulary on a multiple choice test; they will not be tested over the spelling of the words, however students who would like an extra challenge may take a spelling test over the words. Please let me know if you would like this expectation of your child and I will plan accordingly. Wordly Wise will rotate each week with spelling lessons over the following week. Students will have it written in their agendas and I will have it on the blog.

I can see we are off to a great start this year. Please do not hesitate through the year to email me with questions or concerns as they arise. Email is my best communication. I check it periodically through out my school day and a few times over the weekend I remote in to school email.

Melinda Black